Thoughtful Thursday: TIna Turner and Care for Self

I am in search of something inspirational this morning. These days I don't hear much that I like on the news, so I am avoiding it. I've reached the end of the videos that the iPod will store, so I am going to be diving into my queue of podcasts for something that won't be a downer but will engage my brain in something other than the place where it is right now.

My desk is messy right now, so it's been difficult to see the quote box I received from Music Therapy Mailings a while back (that reminds me, I need to re-up my subscription to that service. I like it lots!) I went digging for it this morning, trying to find a thought that would keep me going through this very hot, very group-filled day. Tina Turner came to the rescue.

My friend, the art therapist at work, went home on Tuesday with the beginnings of bronchitis. She lasted half the day, but started to get sick after the first three sessions of the day. She talked to me about 30 minutes about needing to go home, but not wanting to take the time. She went through all the stages of therapist guilt - "I don't feel good at all." "I could probably stick it out for the last three groups, but I'm not sure." "If I change the therapy plan, I could just sit here." "It would be better to take the time now and not get pneumonia later." "I'll finish my notes, and then I'm going to leave."

I recognize those stages all too well. I go through them myself every stinking time that the need for emergency self-care rears its ugly head. 

The biggest challenge for me is keeping up with the regular, ordinary type of self-care so I don't need the emergency self-care very often.

This regular, ordinary type of self-care is something that challenges me almost all the time. My pattern is to go, go, go, and then try to recover from the lack of self-consideration. It is always better for me to take the time to do the little things and slow down rather than speed through any and all situations. I know this, but I don't always use best practices in my life.

Today, I am feeling the call to stay at home. This isn't any situation that is based on a real need to stay at home, I am just tired and crabby. I can't breathe very well (darn humid air), I have six groups to run today (that's half the school on one day), and I never sleep well on Wednesdays (for some strange reason). So, I am wanting to call in and not go to work.

I'm not going to do that. There is no reason other than I just don't want to go to work, so I need to do the responsible thing and do my job. Knowing that I don't want to go to work will make it a bit more important for me to use my best ordinary self-care practices during my time at work today.

To be my best today, I will do the following:
  1. Drink water
  2. Take time to clean something
  3. Immerse myself in relating to my clients through our mutual music
  4. Find something that makes me laugh
  5. Look forward to my three-day weekend
Through these basic practices, I will go into this day with a plan to help me be the best me I can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA