Splurging on Music Stuff

Forgive this self-indulgent post, but I am finally in a place where I can afford to do things like purchase guitar, banjo, and ukulele strings without trading that purchase with food to eat during the month. I just bought all the accoutrements necessary to maintain the various instruments that I have available but haven't been able to get because of medical bills and student loan payments. I am currently unencumbered by such debts, so I have a bit to spend.

It's amazing that it doesn't take much to keep up my instruments, but it is difficult to get nothing from nothing. As a result, I have one clarinet reed left, a banjo with only two strings, a flute without an end cap and missing some springs, and a trombone slide that sticks halfway down. Most of those things only required a couple of dollars to fix, and so I am going to fix it right now (while I have the money!).

I am needing to immerse myself in making music. I want to better my functional skills on my accompanying instruments, and I have so many instruments to play around me, that I am going to start playing more often - neighbors, beware! I've started to work on my ukulele skill and will take up the banjo as well.

I don't expect that I will ever be proficient enough to use these instruments in performances, but I want to learn enough to be able to demonstrate how to play all of them with my clients. I want to carve out time in each of my days to reconnect with music - what I have always loved.

When I've gone through these situations before, I've found that learning skills on the instruments helps me explore music more deeply. I can work on my transposition skills, my understanding of music theory, and all types of musical experimentation and exploration. I am looking forward to the process this time around.

Today, I am going to play the piano and the guitar on my own, without an audience or clinical responsibilities. I am going to take some of my fakebooks and technique books and just play for a bit. After that, who knows?

I will splurge, not just monetarily, but with my time and effort this week. Music will be the reward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA