Supplemental Sunday: Generic Game Board

www.musictherapyworks.com
Supplemental Sunday - Generic Board Game
A generic game board?

What would a music therapist do with a game board?

What couldn't a music therapist do with a game board? My clients use this to move around the room. They use it to review musical terms, instruments, and theory concepts. They use it to practice social skills. They also use this folder to make up their own games and creative interactions. 

This is one of the most generic of generic game boards that I've made, but it has its purpose. The lack of decoration, color, and other distractions makes this a board that all of my students can use. All it needs is a batch of cards, markers, and a way to move around the board such as dice or number cards. I have different baggies for different types of games (color-coded, of course, so I can easily pick the right set of cards for the right kind of game!).

How did I make this? I used my powerpoint presentation program and made a bunch of shapes on a piece of paper. I linked each one of the shapes with an arrow (to indicate how to move around the board). I printed off two of those sheets. If you notice carefully, the board is made up of the same pattern just pointed different ways.

After printing off two copies of this shape sequence, I glue it down. I choose a "start" and "finish" spot on the board and write those words in those spots. I also indicate a place to put the cards. Label the folder and then laminate the entire thing. Fini!!

To make the game cards, I have other thoughts and ideas that I use. I make instrument cards. I make social skill cards. I make cards that are lyric substitution or name that tune cards. I make movement cards and note recognition cards. All of these types of things can be done with this generic game board. 

How would you use this game board? Let me know in the comments!

Happy Sunday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment