Favorite Things Friday - Nothing To Do

This is Day 2 of my 11 day Fall Break. I have nothing that I have to do outside of my house. There are no phone calls to make, no tasks that HAVE to be done, and no trips scheduled for today. It is an unusual event, but does happen to me occasionally.

Since there is nothing that I HAVE to do, my to-do list is sparse. I like it that way. I can get other things finished. Right now, I have three things on the list - none of which MUST be done today, but that won't keep me from doing other things as well.

I spoke to a bunch of music therapy folks about self-care last night. I always talk about the importance of finding your own pattern of self-care activities and awareness in order to help stave off things like compassion fatigue, secondary trauma, and burnout. It is important to be pro-active when it comes to self-care so you don't have to be as reactive if something happens.

For me, at least two days of "nothing to do," plays a big part in my self-care pattern. There is something refreshing about not having to do anything based on someone else's schedule or demands. If I want to bake brownies, I can. If I want to play video games all day, I can. If I want to sleep the day away and stay awake all night, I can. There is something quite soothing to this introvert's soul to be completely without expectations. This type of day offers me an opportunity to refresh my energy and interests in my way. After some time with limited expectations and responsibilities, I will be ready to get back into a routine.

I hope that you, dear reader, have a chance to have nothing to do.

I'm going to see what this day enfolds...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA