Favorite Things Friday - Turning the Tide

There was a moment yesterday, at about 10:38 am, when I thought, "You know? I actually feel better." That moment was a moment of celebration and led me to thinking about those moments when something definitely ends. There can be relief in an ending.

An ending may be something cathartic. You may be able to release something that was bothering you into the atmosphere or into the blogosphere and just let it go. The ending may be a whimper. Just something that finishes and lets go. The ending may be a storm - something tumultuous that leads into a major upheaval, but an ending is an ending.

I received news of two very different endings this morning when I woke up. My Aunt passed away overnight after a rough bout with cancer, and a job search I was on officially ended. Both of these endings were expected, so I had time to process them before they actually occurred. The news of both situations was not startling, and now things move forward.

I can move into a period of celebration with each of these endings.

The endless wondering about the job search (one of the most interesting ones I have ever been on) is over. I didn't get the job. I am totally fine with that fact and will move on happily. I went into the entire process with an attitude of, "if this is what I'm meant to do, I will get the job." Obviously, it's not what I'm meant to do right here and right now.

My Aunt was a chemist who spent many years fiddling around with various chemicals. She raised two children who are raising six grandchildren. When she was diagnosed with lung cancer, she started her treatment in a vigorous manner, but appeared to decide that treatment was not the best thing for her. She was able to spend some time with her family and, in the recent family photos that I've seen, she was smiling and enfolded in love. She made decisions for herself and was able to live on her own terms. I will celebrate her life and the impact she made on the lives of her children, grandchildren, and the others who were fortunate enough to share small bits of her life.

I hope that the endings in your life give you cause to celebrate, even if the ending is not what you want for yourself. I firmly believe that there is a purpose to all things that happen, favored outcomes or not, and that every ending means a new beginning somewhere.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA