Favorite Things Friday - Muppets Music - Saying Goodbye

It's no secret that I love the Muppets - especially the music that comes from the Muppets. So, for today's Friday post, I'm going to post my second favorite Muppet song, Saying Goodbye. Check out the YouTube video at this link.

Yesterday was a day for saying goodbye.

My intern finished up and graduated. She finished up her projects, sessions, and evaluations and then drove off into her future. So, this song popped into my head as I watched her head for some time at home before returning to school. It is always a bittersweet moment when someone I've spent so much time with has to go, but that's the job of an intern. They show up, spend time, and then leave. I know that they will have to leave when they start, but there is always the urge to keep them around, but that urge fades pretty quickly - not because they are difficult to be around, but because they outgrow me.

Anyway, this song comes from The Muppets Take Manhattan. The Muppets have found themselves in a situation where they don't have any money and have to go out into the world to find jobs. Some of them head home, others go out and join traveling circuses, and yet others stay behind. The song contains lots of emotions and sentiments, but emphasizes that goodbyes are not easy to say.

Here are the lyrics (as I hear them...)
Saying goodbye, going away
Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say
Touching a hand, wondering why
It's time for saying goodbye

Saying goodbye, why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had
Much more to say, foolish to try
It's time for saying goodbye

Don't want to leave, but we both know
Sometimes it's better to go

Somehow I know we'll meet again
Not sure quite where, and I don't know just when
You're in my heart, so until then

Wanna smile, wanna cry
Saying goodbye
La la la la la la la la
It's time for saying goodbye  

My favorite part of the song is the last verse - starting with "Somehow I know we'll meet again." This is how I feel about most of the goodbyes that happen in my life - we will meet again, and in this era of social media and connectiveness, it is very easy to keep in touch.

I said goodbye to Intern #23 yesterday. She gets to go off into the world to do good music therapy things so it was a good goodbye, but was difficult even so.

Go into the world, #23, and fly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA