We're Having a Snow Day

There are 7-12 inches of snow on the weather forecast, so it is time for me to head into work for an educational snow day. At my facility, our residents stay with us 24 hours a day, so when the school district cancels school, school staff members have to take over the caregiving responsibilities. So, when we have a snow day, some of us head down to work and spend the day involved in alternate activities. I am one of those people.

I like snow days - they tend to be an interesting change in pace, but they REALLY stress out many of my clients who have diagnoses on the Autism Spectrum...the whole change in routine really messes their world up. I get to provide back-to-back music therapy sessions for all of my residential clients - things we don't usually do in music therapy. Today, for example, we are going to play jingle instruments and talk about music history. For the littler ones, we will sing some silly songs. It means several consecutive hours of music therapy, but it is well worth it.

I have the option of not coming in, but I have done this for 17 years now and like the opportunity to take time off at a later date. At this point, I have almost a week of time to take off when I want to do so. If there are more snow days (and there always are, it seems), I will get to take off all of the inservice days from here to the end of the year. I am SO looking forward to that!

So, off I go into the snow (well, the snow hasn't started yet, but it is coming!).

Off I go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA