Well, I Didn't Hold Up My End of the Bargain

Yesterday, I didn't do a very good job of holding up my end of the therapeutic triad. I wasn't really participating in the therapeutic process as much as I could have or should have. As I was watching my clients interact with music throughout the day, I kept thinking, "I could be doing so much more." Truly, not one of my better days as a therapist...

Now, please don't think that I usually sit and watch my clients cavort around the music room without any type of intervention from me - that is certainly NOT the case at all! Unfortunately, yesterday was a day of pain for me, and I was trying hard not to telegraph my pain and fever to my students. It was more prudent for me to take a more passive role in the session than try to engage in the middle of pain.

Today, I opted to remain at home rather than head to my summer school sessions and try to keep the increasing pain to myself. I should be able to return to my normal routine and the task of being a therapist tomorrow. I hope so, at least!

It is important for therapists to acknowledge the times when they are not able to interact in a way that supports the client's progress towards goals and objectives. Without that acknowledgement, I may have writhed in pain in front of my clients - most of whom have experienced trauma in their lives. Can you imagine what it could do to a youngster to see a therapist curled up in a ball because of pain? Not good at all! It is better for the therapist to not be present in the session than to be placed in a position where roles are reversed.

I always feel guilty when I take a day off from work. Even when I feel ill or am in immense amounts of pain, I still feel guilty that I am at home and not doing my job. This morning I debated whether I really needed to stay at home for a good hour before I finally decided to stay here at home. Looking back, it was a good call.

Here's hoping that tomorrow is relatively pain-free, and my clients and I can keep moving down our objective paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA