The Library - Looking Through the Songbooks

I haven't done much reading in my music therapy textbooks this week. Instead, I have been drawn to my TME files, my songbooks, and my books of poetry. I'm not really sure why I have eschewed all theoretical reading for more creative reading, but it may have something to do with the heat, with the things happening at work, and with nothing at all, just boredom.

I think one of the things that I am unable to pass by is a songbook. I love having music. I enjoy looking at the songs that others have composed. I want to know the stories behind their composition, and I use songbooks to help myself become more creative with my clients. It is amazing how many songs there are out there that can be adapted to help my clients meet their goals. With a little bit of practice, I can take those songs into sessions and use them.

My favorite books are Fake Books. If you don't know what a Fake Book is, it is time to look through one or two. I am much more of a guitarist than a pianist. I think in chords rather than in notes. If you can give me a melody line and a chord structure, I can fake an accompaniment. If you give me a written accompaniment, I will still figure out the chords and then fake the song! So, Fake Books are my favorite types of resource books. My favorite is a Disney Fake Book that I ordered with a gift certificate many, MANY years ago. I have lots of classic Disney songs in a format that is easy to use. I also like having high numbers of songs in one book - something that can be done when you are only printing the melodies of each songs.

Since these books are my preferred resources, I have avoided them this week in favor of some of the ones that are not as preferred. I have some vintage Sheet Music Magazine copies that have lots of songs arranged for keyboardists. Often, they also include guitar chords, so the songs are easy for me to play. Most of the songs are from before the 1980's, so many of them would not be familiar for my clients, but that could be adapted. The songs would also be completely new and novel for my kids - that would be a good thing when we get bogged down in the same old patterns...

I also started through my All-Time Favorite American Songbook. I have been giggling at the themes of all of the songs included in the songbook. Most of the songs from the colonial times dealt with either murder or death due to horrible illness. The songs are mostly bouncy in nature, but deal with horrible themes. I find it morbidly funny.

It is time to get back into reading about the ethical considerations that all music therapists should take into account. I think I'm ready...or maybe not.

We will see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA