Time Management and Organization

I am getting ready for the second webinar that I am offering for music therapy interns - Time Management and Organization. The webinar will start next Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7pm my time, and I hope it will be a dialogue. We will see!

I enjoy making seminars and presentations about organization for the simple reason that I am always striving to be more organized in my personal and professional lives. I am not that organized at home - more of a packrat than a minimalist (even though I would LOVE to be a minimalist) - but I have managed to be pretty organized in my professional role as a music therapist.

[In all honesty here, I have my ups and downs when it comes to organization even in my music therapy clinic, but I am MUCH better at organization at work!]

I've been thinking about what types of things I try to show my interns about organization and time management when they arrive at my facility to start their internships. I try to let them know that they will have times when the requirements of being an intern will be overwhelming. There will be times when they simply have too much on their plates, and they will need to engage in very specific time management skills. I also try to remind them that being an intern is very different from being a student or a full-time professional.

In traveling around the internet looking for resources, I found that most of what I know about time management is recommended by others. Set goals. Prioritize those goals. Manage interruptions. Avoid procrastination. Make and keep schedules.

Now, I am the first to realize that everyone has a different way of getting things done. What works for me does not necessarily work exactly the same way for others. It is important for each of us to figure out what works for us and then make those procedures into habits.

I'm off to finish my presentation for Tuesday evening - imagine, a task completed three whole days before it has to be! Huzzah!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA