Being Lazy

In the movie, Holiday Inn, starring Bing Crosby, Marjorie Reynolds, and Fred Astaire, Bing sings a song called, Lazy. In the song, he expresses a sincere request to just relax, sit around, and do very little. The unfortunate part, for the character he plays, is that he chooses to buy a farm for the scene of his laziness little knowing what is required with farming. Here is a YouTube link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAX3sGuP2jc .

His idea of laziness doesn't work out very well for him. That tends to happen to me as well. I always start off each break and vacation with a picture of how my time will be spent. That picture often ends up being wrong and nothing goes as planned.

My current break from work is coming to an end. There are four days left until work starts up again. I have been lazy. I have completed some projects and have ignored others. I haven't pushed myself to do anything, but, like Bing, things have not worked out as planned.

This is not a bad thing. 

My work ethic, influenced by my parents and my own personality, is strong. I enjoy work. I spend lots of time thinking about work, making things for work, and working. When I have time when I am not working, I tend to feel disconnected. I have learned that being lazy is not a bad thing - and I allow myself to be lazy when I can.

Good thing I have almost had enough of being lazy. I am ready to get back into the music therapy routine of things. I am starting to make plans for sessions. I am practicing songs and am attempting to finish the home-based tasks that I have started here over the past week and a half. The lazy days of Fall Break are almost over, and I am ready.

"Lazy, I wanna be lazy. I wanna be out in the sun, with no work to be done..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA