Little Steps

Recently I have discussed that I am trying to make some subtle changes in my life. I am trying to find things to throw away, donate to others, and repurpose in my life. I am trying to listen to new music everyday, and I am getting myself closer to some professional goals that I have had for a long time.

Yesterday I took a small step towards my goal of organization in my home.

I moved my DVDs and my DVD storage shelf (5 feet by 8 feet shelving that I made from 2X4s) from the front room to the back room. Does this sound like a lot of work? Not really. Now, remember that I am a pack rat and know that I LOVE movies, so trust me when I say that the task was pretty monumental. I moved seven shelves' worth of DVDs (81 DVDs each) from the front room to the back room. I then had to manipulate the shelving unit around the front room, the desk in the office, down the hallway, and into the back room. Then, I found another obstacle - the ceiling fan. I stopped to think the process through and eventually figured out how to maneuver myself and the shelf into place. I reloaded the shelves and, voila! I now have all of my movies in place.

Now, that is not all that I did yesterday, but that was the best thing that I did towards my personal goals all day.

How does this relate to music therapy? Good question.

I suppose a good therapist is always aware that there are things that need to be addressed and worked on. A good therapist understands that he/she is not perfect just like the clients that seek therapy are also not perfect. A good therapist also assists his or her clients in celebrating the small steps taken towards a goal and recognizes his or her own small steps towards goals. A good therapist is also not afraid to own his or her faults and imperfections.

A small step yesterday may lead to a bigger step today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA