Boomwhacker Party?? What??

I just finished a webinar with Kat Fulton, electronic media guru! She sent out an invitation for anyone who was interested to attend an online Boomwhacker Party. I thought, "Why not?" and signed up.

Now, I am very interested in offering online CMTE courses for music therapists who share my interests in persons with developmental disabilities, persons with psychiatric diagnoses, and music therapy interns. I am always interested in how others offer information online, so I signed up for both the Boomwhacker ideas and to see Kat in action.

I was not disappointed.

We used an online conference meeting platform called MeetingBurner. I logged in and waited for the others to arrive. The platform did not allow us to see each other, but we could see Kat and see her powerpoint presentation. It was a bit difficult to contact Kat while she was presenting, but we chatted amongst ourselves without an issue.

Now, the boomwhacker ideas were things that I would have to adapt quite a bit for my students, but Kat offered many ideas in a short amount of time. I will be waiting expectantly for the information that she will be sending to us later on.

How can we, as therapists, use the everchanging electronic media available to us to be better facilitators for our clients?

The first thought is to participate in information sharing opportunities such as the webinar that I attended 10 minutes ago. We can now communicate with each other at the speed of light, so why not?

Secondly, of course, we can use the internet to find out the most recent research in our field and in related fields. I had a wonderful "A-ha" moment yesterday when I started parsing the information in Dr. Patel's article from Nature Neuroscience in 2003 about syntax. There will be more about this when I get it all figured out.

Third, we can interact with clients in real time, but not in real space. Now, I admit that I would always rather be in real space with a client, but it is nice to know that I could participate in therapy from a distance, if necessary. This is especially nice to know now that online K-12 schools are becoming more prevalent and that the number of certified music therapists does not change very much or very often. With more kids that could be reached in an electronic format, music therapists can provide some services to areas that do not have a music therapist locally.

This was an exciting experience for me, and I heartily thank Kat Fulton for offering the opportunity! Keep an eye out for some opportunities from me coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA