The Sweetwater Challenge

Am I part of a reality show that tests morals and ethical behaviors?? If so, am I winning??

For the last three days, there have been two packages outside my door that are not for me. They are from Sweetwater which is a music equipment company that I have never been able to order from - they tend to be a bit more expensive than I can usually afford. When I walked into my hallway on Wednesday to see these boxes sitting outside my door, I was thrilled! Someone decided I needed a new guitar!!! Joy! Rapture!! What??

My rational mind knew that these were not for me. My family knows not to buy me a guitar - guitar selection tends to be a pretty personal process - I'm not usually too picky, but my Dad (who is the only one who would even think about doing this) knows that I would rather choose my own instrument than just to find one on my doorstep.

My emotional mind, on the other hand, was jumping up and down! A new guitar!! What was in the other box?? Maybe an amplifier?? I could use one of those!

The rational brain took over. "Hold on there, EM. We know that this cannot be for us. We didn't buy a new guitar, even though we've been thinking about it recently. We did NOT! We do not sleep-order, and if we did, it would be through Amazon, not Sweetwater. This is OBVIOUSLY not for us!"

EM: But, maybe it is! Dad knows that we have a BIG birthday coming up. Maybe he decided to surprise us!

RM: Enough! Time to look at the address and see who has made a mistake.

EM: MAN!! I NEVER get any fun!

RM: So, let's look and see...

EM (interrupting RM): C'mon, c'mon. Let it be for me! Maybe I won something!

RM: Just as I suspected - this is NOT ours. The FedEx person has made a mistake...AGAIN. None of the facts on the address match ours at all.

EM: But, finders keepers, right?

RM: Nope.

EM: But, finder keepers!

RM: Time to call FedEx and let them know that they messed up.

EM: NEW GUITAR - FINDERS KEEPERS - NEW GUITAR!!!

RM: Dialing now.

I spent 40 minutes online waiting for customer service to connect. When I did, I was assured that the packages would be picked up by Friday at 6pm. It is now Saturday at 6am, and the packages are still sitting there. I know where this person lives, but I don't think it is my responsibility to finish what FedEx was paid to do and messed up on. I have contacted Sweetwater to let them know that the delivery was not completed and that I have the stuff for the adressee. I want FedEx to fix this! Am I wrong in that? I wonder if the boxes would be picked up if Sweetwater asks for FedEx to pick them up? They certainly didn't listen to me when I asked!

Is this a test?
Am I on a reality show?
Should I let my emotional mind take over? No, my rational mind would never let me forget it, and I would be wracked with guilt every time I picked up that guitar... so the rational mind wins out. I will walk past those two tempting boxes until they have been taken to their rightful home.

EM: But...(whimpering) finders keepers...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA