The Last Therapy Day of the Year

It has FINALLY arrived - today is my last therapy day for the calendar year of 2019. Tomorrow is my plan/prep day, so I have an opportunity to clean, clear, and move things around rather than do therapy. I have most of my regular classes today, but not all of them because we have our Holiday Sing today. We're going to be singing some new songs this year - no one suggested "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" but I'm stuck singing "Last Christmas." By this time tomorrow, most of my holiday obligations will be over - with the exception of leading worship at the Christmas Eve service - so I will be able to start getting into a holiday type of mood.

I always look forward to the arrival of this day because it signifies the end of one thing and the start of something new. My winter break will not be particularly restful - I have lots to do before taking a trip to my home - but it will be a break from the regular routine. There is no guilt associated with any of these upcoming days off. I won't be in bed, feeling guilty about not being at work for one reason or another because these days are part of the schedule. I've had lots of guilt days lately because of snow days and rental cars and being in the hospital and all. I know that it is silly to feel guilty about being sick, but that's how I feel when I have to be gone from my regular responsibilities. The good news is that I feel so much better - in all sorts of areas of my well-being - that I think getting rid of that blasted organ was a really good thing. I wasn't aware of how much my physical state was affecting everything in my life until that state changed significantly.

Today I have one group to lead and then the Holiday Sing. My intern and I will try to coordinate the singing of about 150 people in the gym later today, and then the therapy year will be finished. We will clean up the gym and head back into the relative silence of the music therapy room for the rest of the day. We will clean up the music therapy room and get a bit of organizing done. Tomorrow will be a major cleaning day, so I'll be spending time with Clorox wipes and tools and duct tape and super glue and the laminator and Velcro. I'm looking forward it all.

When January arrives, I will be welcoming intern #28 and a practicum student to my music therapy life. I'm not exactly sure where we will all go in my room, but I will make it work. It's been a long time since I've worked with a practicum student, so I will need to review my expectations for students rather than interns to set goals and objectives. Fortunately, I did this as a project for school a long time ago, so I should be able to find that expectation matrix and then update it. I am trying to wrap my head around all of these changes. It will work. I know this.

In the meantime, I have to figure out when I'm going to turn in the rental and pick up my Pixie-car from the shop. I think Pixiletta (my new car) is in town, but no one has contacted me about it yet. It may soon be time to trade in Pixie-car II for Pixiletta (Pixie-car III). We will see what happens. I can tell you that I am glad that I didn't buy a version of my rental car. It doesn't really fit me at all.

Enough about that. Let's get the last therapy day of the year started!! See you tomorrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA