Long Day Ahead...Time to Get Some Work Finished...

I have a twelve hour day at work today. For some reason, my administrators like to schedule long hours after school for training purposes and to get our monitoring finished for the quarter. For me, as a non-IEP based music therapist who has no monitoring, this type of day is simply full of other stuff to do - including catching up with the notes that I haven't finished (yet) and talking to my intern about various and sundry topics - sometimes our talk is about music therapy things, sometimes it's about the time my brother set fire to the bathroom. It has been a long time since I've attended one of these for the entire time. I used to have a part-time job on Wednesday evenings, but we have changed that job to Thursdays to accommodate one of my faithful choristers who has a Wednesday night class. So, I no longer have an excuse to skip out at 5pm. I have to stay until the bitter end...

So, knowing that this is going to be a very long day, I am planning to leave my house later than usual (if I can resist the anxiety tug in my gut - I was able to ignore that tug on Monday, but not yesterday). I am going to take some projects to work on, and I will spend some time making something. I hope that I will be able to finish up the project pictures that I need to take for last week's promised file. We will see how much time I actually have to fill this evening.

I am starting my mental to-do list. These are the things that I'm thinking about while I'm here at home, but the list will not be complete until I actually get to work. I know I must finish my documentation - some from Monday and all from Tuesday, and, if I am on a roll and don't need a break, today's notes as well. I am sure that I will need to do some cleaning - the music therapy room carpets haven't been vacuumed in a long time. If my brain crashes (which it tends to do about 2pm in the afternoon and doesn't fully turn back on after that time), I have my file folder projects and lots of visuals that need to be assembled for various themes and TMEs. I have plenty of things to do to fill this time - a lack of things to do is NEVER my problem - usually I have a lack of motivation to do much of anything. That's my problem!

I do better with four days at nine hours each rather than one 12-hour work day, but we all have to follow the same schedule. I wish we could accept that some folks just function differently and need accommodations to be most effective, but that's not a concept that many people seem to understand in the world at large these days. I would get much more accomplished if I could come in at 6:30am and work until 3:30 or 4pm, but that type of concept seems to confuse people who are late night folks rather than morning people. Oh well. I'm heading off to my 12-hour day with a plan, so I'm going to be fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA