Digital Files - Something That Is Really Not As Difficult As It Seems

I'm to the point in my current "new idea" process where it is time to start getting the small pieces together into a file format that can be easily replicated. For me, this means setting things up into a digital file - something that I've learned to do through trial and error.

Let me explain.

I enjoy making visual aids, and I often try to make them available for other music therapists. To do that, I have a Teachers Pay Teachers store - musictherapyworkscom - where I can sell digital files for a little bit of profit. The process includes some pretty easy steps, and I will share them with you here...

To create digital files, I use Powerpoint and a pdf converter. That's it. There is something that has to be done to make visual aid files unalterable, and that is how the pdf component works.

So, to make this particular file folder activity, I have decided to include a rhythm component, note names, and rhythm wheels. Each folder will have two rhythm components and wheels and two sets of note names to use. So, the digital file has to include two rhythm wheels, two components that match said wheels, and a set of note names.

Time to start the layout of the different pieces into the Powerpoint presentation.

I like to make any moveable pieces out of cardstock - this gives them more durability - so note names will be printed on cardstock. The other pieces - title labels, how-to-use information and the rhythm components - can be printed on copy weight paper, but it would be best to have all the components for a specific folder on one sheet of paper so that I can make multiple, different folders from the same file. It is time to go into Powerpoint and start designing - before that, however, I need to know the measurements that I'm working with here.

The lapbook that I am designing has two flaps per side. The left flap is almost 5 inches in width, and the right flap is 3 3/4 inches in width. I have 8 1/2 inches of inner space (not on the flaps) to use for different components of the folder.

The first part of the exercise is errorless, so students will be placing note names onto rhythm notation strips. The second part is to move the names from the strips to the wheels - hm. This part may be superfluous. It may be better to move from wheel to staff notation. Hm. That would change what I do a bit, but it is a good progression from rhythm to melody. So, that would mean ditching the strips for staves. Those could go on the shorter flaps or on the back of the folder. It would mean adding another set of goals, but that could be done...

This is the problem, one idea leads to another idea which leads to another idea and it never ends!!

Okay - back to the task at hand!

Open up Powerpoint and get the template ready. My templates are what I use to prepare materials for Teachers Pay Teachers uploads - some consistency across my store - nothing important. Set up the title page - done - it is difficult to name some of these visuals in a way that makes sense. In this case, I am using a generic title - Composition - N-I to indicate that this fits in my current system from Novice to Intermediate skill. Then, it is time to head into the design element.

I want people to be able to create different folders in this series, so I have five pairs of four-beat rhythm wheels. Each wheel comes with a staff to indicate where the notes belong. I think I want to label one set with note names - I may even alternate between treble and bass clefs. Hm. That may need to be a different page entirely. Okay - now the file folder sets can be used by folks who are working on reading notation in both treble and bass clef as well as in moveable Do situations. Whoo.

The last part of all of this is to fix the files in permanent form. To do this, I save each page as a jpg and then start a new file with those pages. After that, all there is to do is to upload it to Teachers Pay Teachers and print out my own copy to make my own lapbooks!

Tomorrow's post should be all about actually putting together the lapbook and how I intend on using it with my clients - getting the TMEs put together. I find that those two things usually go hand-in-hand with my creative process, so I keep my post-its handy for notes. I hope to have the digital file completely finished by the end of this week, so you can get your own copy of this file folder in my store in just a bit!! First, though, I need to make a couple of these so I can take pictures for the "how to" portion of the file. Ah, the life of a creator!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA