Well, That Was Strange...

Somehow, someone in Ireland viewed yesterday's blog post over 1,000 times. I wonder why.

Anyway, I am sitting at my work desk, waiting for the power to go out. I don't have my flashlight nearby...maybe I should get that ready...the lights have flickered once already, but it was just a flicker...maybe I should light a candle. That would conquer the absolute blackness that is life without electricity (and no candle).

I enjoy wild, stormy days like this one is starting to be. There is something quite humbling about being part of an environment where you cannot control what is happening - you can only react. I think this is how my clients feel most of the time, and not by choice. I am in control of most of my own destiny because of who I am, and when situations like this storm occur, I realize just how much I am able to do because of that identity. My clients do not have the same opportunities as I do - mainly because of their life circumstances and a little bit because of their ages, but mostly because of their life circumstances.

These circumstances are more than diagnosis, but that diagnosis plays a very large part in how the world interacts and engages. My students often have difficult family dynamics, socioeconomic considerations, and other obstacles to overcome as well as the diagnosis. As someone who wants to support their life development as well as to teach and keep them safe, it is important to remember how much of life is choice and how much includes little to no choice.

This is going to be a short post because I have lots to do on this (my only) weekend day, and I'm in a contemplative mood. I'm going to think a bit more about all of this.

If you are actually in Ireland right now, reading this post - let me know why, okay??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA