My To-Do List is Growing

I have three days left before the end of our extended school year session, so I am starting my to-do lists for the upcoming break. So far, the list is more specific things that need to be located rather than tasks. I need to find the HP ink box with the color cartridge. I've found the one that has the recyclable old cartridges, but I cannot find where I put the new one. The other thing that I need to locate (at the moment, at least) is the rolls of stamps I bought a time ago. I think my to-do list this time around will be more of a "treasure" hunt than a task list.

That may be the way to go this break. I often make a long list of tasks that I simply do not do, so I end up being disappointed and disgusted with myself because I "SHOULD" be doing many other things. I think my running to-do list this break will be things that I need to find - things I know I have somewhere, but that I need to find in order to do other things - like mail letters, print out photos...

There are many things that I need to do around my house, but I am not going to make a list of those tasks. I will just do things as I feel ready to do things. If that means that things are still piled up at the end of the break, that's okay. This may be difficult as I am already thinking about establishing zones in my office area for specific materials.
Must resist the urge to make plans that I will NEVER accomplish!
I do need to do some things like pay my car registration, so that goes on the to-do list. I also want to spend some time watching movies in my local theater. My primary objective, though, is to rest until I can rest no more! I hope that 13 days is long enough to get this task accomplished.

Resting is something that I don't do enough - well, guilt-free resting is something I don't do enough. I would hazard a guess that many music therapists don't do well with resting without thinking about clients or techniques or music or songs or all of the other things that go along with being a helper. I have no way to work during this time - school is closed and my clients aren't available to me in the same way that they are when school is opened - so I can spend this time without feeling guilty about denying clients their services. These days were never part of the service schedule. My brain, though, continues to go into the realm of work thoughts, even when I am supposed to be working.

As a result, I write things down, I make things for my room, I plan and strategize and drive the cat crazy by following her around, singing new songs to her to see her preference (she yowls along when something is particularly obnoxious to her!!). Even when I'm not working, my brain is thinking about working. It never seems to end, so that's why I want to focus on resting. As ideas arrive, I will write them down. I will do what I need to do to get them recorded and ready for use, but I'm not going to force anything.

The to-do list has four entries at the moment - find HP ink, find stamp roll, pay car registration, and rest.

I think I'll be able to do all of this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA