Circuits and Levers and Everything All at Once, Oh My!

Surprise!

I was all ready to go to work yesterday morning when my electricity went kaput.

This was on top of the lever that runs from outside the toilet to the flapper inside the toilet that flushes things breaking the night before and an interrupted night of sleep due to body functions (no more details, I promise) and a pretty gnarly thunderstorm. All of a sudden, the socket where I have my modem plugged in, the computer plugged in, and the wall of lights for my living room and kitchen just stopped. That was all. Only the socket and those particular lights. Everything else worked fine, but those things just stopped.

I learned a couple of things about myself yesterday.

First of all, I have to have internet access to contact my management company. Fortunately, I just moved plugs across the room to different outlets to get the modem up and running again.

Second, my home is NEVER drop-in ready. I had to spend some time getting things picked up so that the electrician could access the outlets and the wall.

Third, the wiring in my home makes no sense at all. The culprit for this particular situation was an outlet breaker in the back bathroom which tripped for some reason. It took me about five hours to remember that there was a secondary breaker in the back bathroom. Once I did that, I went back, reset the breaker, and then there was power!

Compared to my adventures with electricity yesterday, the toilet lever was an easy fix. 

This is the second Monday in a row that I missed with my clients. Last week was the last day of my mini-break, and now this. It is also May the Fourth week, so I had plans for sessions today. I will do those plans today, and my Monday groups will do those plans on Wednesday. It will all work out.

Isn't it amazing how plans change in the blink of an eye (or, in my case - suspected lightning strikes)?

I was all ready to go to work, go through all of my work tasks, and do some music therapy. Then, all of a sudden, something happened. That happens to me all during music therapy interactions as well.

I may have a session strategy (like today's strategy) that includes using my interactive R2-D2 robot. R2 needs a quiet environment to hear commands and follow through on them. I may want my clients to be quiet, but they often have other ideas. This is an "if/then" type of session. If they can be quiet, then we can play with R2. If not, then R2 goes back to my home for another year. If they can handle the R2 time for a bit, and then they need something else, we will do that something else. It's all about meeting the client where he/she/they are in the moment and shaping my interventions and experiences to whatever occurs.

Ah, the second round of thunderstorms are rolling in right now. I wonder if I will have another tripped breaker when I return to my home this evening. I am definitely going to work today - I know how to fix this particular problem...now. I will go into the world outside my front door, and I'll do what I can do the way I can get it finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA