Thoughtful Thursday: Why I'm a Member of My Professional Organizations

I recently re-upped my membership in the World Federation of Music Therapy. I have to admit that I haven't been a member for a long time, but I decided it was something that I need to do as a music therapist in the world. I am also a certificant of the Certification Board for Music Therapists and a professional member of the American Music Therapy Association as well. My memberships with those last two organizations have been constant (while my membership with the World Federation has not been steady at all) because I find that membership is important.

I am of the opinion that if I don't join, then I have no leg to stand on when it comes to changing what these organizations do to represent my profession. Nothing frustrates me more than someone complaining that "AMTA doesn't do enough to..." and then mentioning that they aren't members. (By the way, I feel the same way about voting in our quasi-democratic process of governance - if you don't bother to offer your vote, then you cannot complain about how people govern you.)

A friend of mine recently released a podcast about this very topic. Now, this is specifically targeted towards marriage and family and licensed counselors, but it has some implications for us music therapists as well. The Modern Therapist's Survival Guide is run by a childhood friend of mine and a friend of hers. I get absolutely no compensation for adding this link to my blog, so feel free to check them out and see if Katie and Curt can do something for you in your situation in life.

Do I agree with every decision that AMTA and CBMT and WFMT make on my behalf? Of course not. (I also don't agree with every decision made by elected officials in government.) I am glad that, by participating through my membership dollars, I have a voice. My voice may be in the minority at times and in the majority at other times, but I still have the ability to call folks up and make my opinions known.

I have always made membership a priority in my life. My mother is my example for this practice. She was always a member of her professional organization, even when she was a stay-at-home mother, not really doing her occupational therapy job outside of the home. She was always a member of AOTA, especially when she didn't have to be. My father supported her by making our budget work around those dues, even when things were financially tight. I have had many years when the membership dues would have meant getting some other bills paid off or when that money would have meant less macaroni and more meat, but I've always felt that membership was important.

I am looking forward to being an active member of the World Federation of Music Therapy again. My one-time membership fee will cover the rest of the three-year membership term, and then I'll re-up in 2021. I'm not anticipating going to the World Congress next year (South Africa is just a bit too far to take my sister on many airplanes), but I do want to get more involved in what is going on in the world of music therapy worldwide, and this is one way to do this!

If you are also a member, thanks for being with me. If you are not a member, I hope that you consider becoming a member of at least one of our professional organizations - we cannot evolve into what we want to be if we are not present and making our needs and visions known to others.

End of lecture. Beginning of day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA