I Need to Find a Music Therapy Interest

This is the eighth post I've started today and it will be the last. I am not very interested in much of what is going on in my life right now, and I want something to invigorate me. It's not really happening by osmosis, so I need to start searching for something.

The problem?

I have no idea what something to look for.

I do best when I have a challenge with a clear goal in mind and that is the part that is eluding me. I am just coasting through my music therapy life right now. My interns are doing the things that they are supposed to be doing. My clients are responding the way they always respond to music therapy treatment - some positively, some negatively. My professional goals are happening as I spend time on them. I've settled into a boring routine which is not very stimulating, so I feel my brain atrophying. This is not a feeling that I like.

I need an interest.

I want to find something that will allow me to grow as a music therapist.

Maybe I should move into some research about a topic area that intrigues me. I wonder what that would be. Perhaps I should start by looking at articles and see what makes me want to know more. I know how to do all these things, but I don't feel all that interested in diving into much of anything right now. That may be part of my problem as well.


NOTE: In the interest of full disclosure, this is the most difficult month for me every single year. For some reason, February is when I tend to get the most down about things. We have more inclement weather issues during this month, and I typically have to spend the night at work at least once. We've already had three snow days this year, so I'm thinking we'll probably have at least two more this month (unless the groundhog was correct and it actually IS spring - doesn't seem like it yet around here). I'm also getting over a virus and am worried about family members and my cat - all of whom have mystery medical issues going on right now. All of these worries are amplified by my current state and outlook.

Okay. I am in search of a music therapy interest, and now I want to find one. I am going to spend some time looking in the database through AMTA to see if I can find stuff to start off my interest. After that, who knows? Maybe this will end up in a book or a CMTE or both or nothing. The point is that I need to find something, and I will.

Off to start my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA