My Current Secret Shame - Bullet Journal Planning Videos

My secret shame...I watch too many YouTube videos!
Everyone has at least one weakness, and mine is that I am currently spending WAY TOO MUCH time watching bullet journal planning videos. If you read this blog on a regular basis, you know that I use the bullet journal method for my life - personally and professionally. I enjoy watching what others do with their journals - mine is definitely NOT fancy or pretty. It is functional, and I have FINALLY found a system that works for me, but I still get pulled into the YouTube world of Bullet Journal Plan With Me videos.

These videos all happen the same way. A person with a great manicure focuses the camera onto a wonderful background where the journal is featured. There is almost always a cat who shows up to see what is going on (so far, I only have the cat to contribute - my manicure is never GREAT!). There is a cute theme that is accompanied by a variety of artistic skills - watercoloring, stickers (often designed by the star of the video), shading with fancy pens, and all sorts of things. The person shows us how to make a themed calendar, habit trackers, and weekly spreads to keep up with all the things that happen in life.

Right now, there are tons of videos about setting up a new bullet journal for the new year. It seems, to be a successful bullet journal videographer, you must have an overarching theme to put into your new journal. (Another reason I will NEVER be a YouTube bullet journal video star - I don't have a new journal, and I don't really have a theme. Oh well. Guess I can cancel that manicure appointment now - just kidding, I don't spend money on nails that play guitar!!) There are significant ramifications to what journal you choose for your year - the implication is that the wrong journal choice will break your year! Quelle domage!

Okay. So for some reason I just can't seem to stop myself from watching these videos. I find them really relaxing - similar to how I used to watch the Joy of Painting on Saturday mornings - it just hypnotizes me into quiet contemplation. I've been inspired to try some watercoloring (not in my journal, but for other projects), and it is pretty obvious that watercolors are NOT my medium. On the other hand, since I've started watching these videos on a regular basis, I've been doing more papercrafting than I did before I started watching - this may be a side effect of watching others create. Correlation? Who knows?? 

 I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to next week - that's when most of the January 2019 plan with me videos will start coming out. I'm sure there will be lots of snowmen and winter forest scenes that will be developed. I'm going to watch in awe and wonder as others paint these beautiful scenes in their journals. I'll do what I always do - a weekly calendar with a task list. I may use some wintery colors to outline my calendar - I may not. I may go completely off the popular themes and go for beach colors! I may not. That's the great thing about being a bullet journaler - there is no wrong, and I get to do what I want!!

My tasks for today are to work, buy a delectable morsel for filming this evening, get home with said morsel, film said morsel, eat said morsel (can't let it go to waste), edit the film, turn out several certificates for the symposium I led this past weekend, and then get to sleep. I'll be able to finish up my tasks without too much effort (as long as I get the morsel first!! - I'm thinking brownies...yum.).

Time to get started...must...resist...YouTube...must...resist... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA