Music Monday

I have spent quite a bit of money on iTunes lately - on music that I can justify due to the need for a therapeutic interaction, intervention, or relationship, and on music that I want just for me - and I have lots to listen to in order to really get to know this music.

I have lots of new stuff - music by Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, Linda Ronstadt, Elvis Presley, Straight No Chaser (they are fun, check them out!!), Josh Groban, the folks over at Now! That's What We Call Music!, The Four Seasons, the Andrews Sisters, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and "today's hottest music from today's hottest stars!" If I started my "recently purchased" playlist now, I bet I would still be hearing new music at the start of the upcoming new year.

I've purchased new holiday music this year. That was something that I really didn't do much of in the past three years, mainly because I didn't have lots of spare cash for things like music, but also because I have an entire CD book full of holiday music, so I've pretty much got songs and more songs for this season covered. This year, however, I decided it was time to update some stuff a bit. Also, my students have requested specific music for our Holiday sing, so I needed to get music from The Polar Express so we can sing it with them later. 

I enjoy new music. I like the novelty of something that I haven't heard before, and I enjoy making up my mind about various things. I definitely listen to most music with a music therapist's ear - I analyze the musical structure, elements, and emotional possibilities. It is difficult for me to immerse myself in music the way others seem to be able to do.

I think this may be why there are some songs and some music that I don't use with my clients. There are some pieces that I have strong extramusical associations with and that I want to maintain. So, I keep my musical preferences to me, outside of the therapeutic relationship. The good thing is that most of my musical preferences are not well known AT ALL, so clients don't often ask for my songs that often.

So, my assignment for today is to get to know some new music - some of the music is familiar but by new performers. Some of the music is completely new to me, and some of the music on my playlist is not new to me at all, but is new to my music collection. I've got the playlist on the iPod, and I am ready to head out into the cold, December morning.


Today's Playlist:
When Christmas Comes to Town

Walk Like a Man
This Is Me
Homeward Bound
Bless Us All
Whatever It Takes
No Excuses
Where Are You Christmas?
Linus and Lucy
I've Got Plenty to be Thankful For
Believe 

See you on the flip side!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA