I Wasted an Entire Day

Yesterday was a completely wasted day for me. I spent the entire day in bed, doing various tasks, but not really leaving my bed to do much of anything. I did not blog, I did not work on any computer projects, and I spent the entire time engaged in things like laundry folding and goal setting. I did not get to sleep until WAY after my usual time, and I was fretting about a work interaction that is bothering me at the moment. My mind just kept returning to this interaction (which is no where NEAR as concerning as my mind kept insisting it was) and would not turn off. I finally got to the point where I could sleep and slept until 4:30 am. I'm now up and ready to get some work done in my house.

I don't often get to waste a day like that, but when I do, I tend to find my outlook and energy renewed.

I am now looking around my house, thinking about all the things that need to happen before my next big obligation. It can be overwhelming, but it is also important to acknowledge the big picture before starting to find the smaller steps involved in getting to that big picture. Does this sound familiar? As a therapist, I have to know the end point before I can establish the smaller steps that are necessary to get to the desired outcome.

It doesn't matter if the end result is clear hallways or improved impulse control through music therapy - the steps to get there are the same. 

Today will not be wasted in the same way as yesterday was, but it will be a day of working towards my current desired outcome - a cleaner house. Time to get started. I think I'll start with the pile of papers, books, and detritus on my desk. Every task has to start somewhere...

See you tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA