An Apology and Lots More Medication Musings

I just now realized that yesterday was Tuesday, and I didn't post a TME Tuesday post this week. Shows you how much my medication messes with my head. I didn't even think about it until just now. So, if you tuned in yesterday to get a TME idea and had to read my sick day rant, I am so sorry! If you tuned in yesterday because you always read the blog and were expecting a TME post, again, I am sorry!

Now I'm not sure what to do - do I try to find a TME to share? Or do I go on my way into the future in a bold manner? Oh, the decisions.

My day includes three sessions with kids, two intern observations, and a meeting. I'll be present until the junior intern is finished with training and then I'll be leaving to go to my part-time job. My senior intern and possibly the junior intern will be going to the faculty team-building event. It will be interesting to hear what the event ends up being. It was supposed to be our Back to School Night, but we changed all that. Now it's team-building.

Team-building is something that confuses me - I mean, I understand the thought behind the concept, but I don't see a need for such things. I view many of these events as a waste of time. I would rather spend the time finishing work goals than to spend it running around a bowling alley. I would rather have the time to spend working in my room than having to talk to people about small talk topics.

The problem? The "Building Leadership Team," AKA: the people who come up with these "really fun" ideas for us all to complete are all extroverts. They enjoy running around the room doing silly things in the name of team-building. I don't ever see any more team cohesion after these events, but that's probably my introversion goggles clouding up the perception.

My perspective is exactly that - my perspective.

When I spend time thinking about what team-building is for me, I tend to think about uniting behind a common work problem and then working with a small group to address that common problem. I think that socializing in the name of team-building is something that extroverts enjoy. I know that it seems to be a waste of time for me. I hope that other introverts feel the same way - if not, then it is just me who feels this way. I would rather spend most of my time engaged in work-specific tasks than going roller skating or bowling or through a haunted house in the name of team-building.

Maybe my perception is based on my definition of "work."

For me, work is work and home is home. I don't often mix the two, and that is a purposeful boundary. I am not interested in going to a bar or a bowling alley or anything with the people I work with. My work identity is different than my outside of work identity, and I like that.

I've got to go to work now. Time to get going. Sorry for the second rant in a row. I'm hoping that my current ick will go away pretty soon so I can get out from under this medication haze...

Happy Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA