TME Tuesday: Everyday Piggyback Song - Work

I don't know about you, but it seems that many of the conflicts that happen in the classrooms that I serve are centered around having to do school work. This is a piggyback song where I've taken the melody, harmony, and rhythmic structure of a familiar song (at least, it's familiar to me!) and changed the lyrics to illustrate a specific situation. I think I'll make it into a book for my students, but I haven't started working on that project...yet.

Enjoy!!

Therapeutic Music Experience
Every Day
Mary Jane Landaker, MME, MT-BC
 

Purpose: To reinforce importance of schoolwork and learning; to provide positive behavior support to clients who need reminders; reminder of consequences; musical filler to continue to maintain neurological stimulation

Source: Words and music for song, Everyday, as sung by Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Music written by Buddy Holly and Norman Petty, 1957. TME procedure and piggyback lyrics © 2014 by Mary Jane Landaker

Materials: None required; OPTIONAL: lyric sheets, lyric strips, or book; accompanying instrument

Environment: Group members within hearing distance of singer

Song/Chant/Words:
Every day, there’ll be time where I have work to do. It might not be something that I know about now, If I start right off, I’ll finish my work real soon.

Every day, I’m going to have work to do. It won’t go away, ‘cause it’s important learning. It might be math, reading, or science today.

BRIDGE: If I sit down and get started with my work, I might have free time later. If I don’t do my work, I will still have to do it later.

So, if I start to whine or ask to take a break, my work will be here when I get back. It doesn’t go away, and the work will always wait!

Procedure: R = Reinforcement opportunities; C = Redirection/Cue opportunities; A = Assessment
1.      C=start singing the song, using accompanying instrument or body percussion to root the music into a tempo.
2.      A=assess whether group members are attending to the music – look for entrainment signs, eye contact, singing along to the music.
3.      R=reinforce group members for attending through nonverbal means to ensure that the music continues.
4.      R=if necessary, redirect group members through changing the lyrics to include names
5.      If using visual, display visuals as leader is singing. Attempt to get group members to use the visuals rather than just watching.

Therapeutic Function of Music:
The music formats important information and offers it in a way where some group members will listen and process. The song itself is centered around an academic/school concept and skill – it does not require any instruments or materials, but all of those things can be added to increase client attention and participation.

The music is generally familiar in style to most persons who live in the United States. The format is a typical rock and roll song of the 1950’s and elements of music can be adjusted to fit client preferences for tempo, timbre, lyrics, and rhythmic figures.

Melody
Pitch
Rhythm
Dynamics
Harmony
7 note patterns; repetitive melody
Variable to accommodate client preferences and needs.
Syncopation throughout
Variable to accommodate client preferences and needs.
I, IV, V7

Form
Tempo
Timbre
Style
Lyrics
AABA
Variable to accommodate client preferences and needs.
Variable to accommodate client preferences and needs.
1950’s rock and roll
Piggyback version – can be changed to accommodate specific client needs and practices
Chart adapted from Hanson-Abromeit, D. (2010). A Closer Look at the Therapeutic Function of Music. Presentation at 2010 American Music Therapy Association National Conference: Cleveland, OH.

Adaptations:
·         Make a recording and design a book for use outside of the music therapy session. Start the process of learning the song within the music therapy session and then introduce it to students within the learning environment to generalize the idea and the skill for their educational benefit

Extensions:
  • Ask group members to write new verses for the song that reflect their own thoughts about working on school work (or in their jobs).
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA