Bullet Journal Inspiration - AKA, I'm Watching WAY Too Much YouTube Lately!

As you know, if you read this blog post on a daily basis, I am a fledgling bullet journaler. I have my personal/home bullet journal and a session/music therapy bullet journal that I use to strategize. I am not very fancy, but I do love using my markers and making things look coordinated.

Lately, I've been a bit obsessed with Plan With Me videos on YouTube. These are videos where people film themselves drawing their bullet journal pages. They are usually very artistic and pulled together. The people who make these videos usually only show their hands and there is usually stock music and sped up video formats that go along with the discussion about which pens were used and why the person chose to go with the kites as a theme. I'm addicted to these videos. They have become my evening event.

My own journaling journey has been a bit less coordinated, a bit less nifty, and a lot less time-consuming than the videos that I just can't seem to stop watching. I do what works for me.

Currently, what is working for me is one page with a calendar on it, another page with my task list for the month, and I'm trying something new - a habit tracker type thing.

I recently signed up for a paper and stationery subscription box. It's something that I have been inspired to try (because of my incessant need to watch these videos on YouTube! It's pervading my entire life!!!), and one of the things that I get as part of this box is a monthly calendar printed on cardstock. They are pretty, but not really useful to me the way I'm doing things at the moment. I don't want them to go to waste, so I am going to use them as my habit tracker foundation.

Here's how this works. I take my card, tape it into my book as a fold-out page, and then I write on the back. I list the habits I am trying to establish - currently it's eating breakfast and getting exercise into my daily routine (ooh, maybe I should only watch YouTube videos when I'm on the exercise bike - that could WORK!!). I'm also tracking correspondence with my mom (who likes written letters), my friend (who uses email), and my sister (who really doesn't care but likes to complain if she's left out of the loop! Just like me!!). I can use the back of the card to track that information, and that leaves the rest of the page for stuff like tasks and thoughts and all that. I'm trying to figure out how to do this type of thing in my work/music therapy bullet journal as well.

For some reason, I received two different cards for the month of September. (These are from Flair & Paper, by the way.) I've decided to use them both in my journal. The first one has my habit tracker on it and the second one is underneath. I'm not sure what I will do with that one yet - maybe it will eventually move to my work bullet journal - maybe not. Either way, I have two extra writing surfaces for this month - I will definitely need them because I like to write things down.

So, what do I do with this? This journal helps me keep on track for things like making files for my Teachers Pay Teachers store, posting things on my website, and keeping up with work for the Online Conference for Music Therapy. I also track my work for my part-time job at the church and everything else that I do - there isn't as much as you might think outside of all the other things that I do...

I don't spend lots of time making my pages all look pretty and coordinated, but I do like having a place where I can get fancy, if I want. 

My work journal is not nearly as colorful or fancy, but I may be changing that a bit. I usually use pencil in my planner, but there is really no reason why it has to be pencil - I could give into my urge to use super-sticky post-its a bit more if I decide to use pen... Everything is changing with that planning process now that my current intern is doing her half of the caseload and I have a new intern starting on Tuesday to gradually take her half of the caseload. I am not planning nearly as many sessions as before - in fact, I'm feeling pretty off-kilter because I'm not the leader of all the sessions. I'm trying to get back into the role of intern supervisor, and changing my bullet journal process may be one of my strategies for finding that role again.

Hmmm. Things to think about. Maybe I should watch some more YouTube videos for inspiration...Nope! Gotta think for myself.

Would anyone be interested in a music therapy session strategy/format bullet journal video? I could probably put one together (without all the bells and whistles, of course!) to show you what I did, am doing, and am thinking about doing. 

I'll put it on the task list for September. 

In my bullet journal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA