"Have You Written These Down Into a Book?"

I was asked this question during one of my presentations on Saturday, and it made me giggle a bit (internally).

A bit of context here - I was talking about writing goals and objectives, and I mentioned that unless you knew where your client wanted to end up, you really couldn't figure out what to work on. We also discussed the need to take that end goal, parse it into smaller skills, tasks, and topics, and then assess present levels of performance on each of those smaller skills in order to identify where we should focus our goals. I mentioned that once you completed a task analysis on a specific desired outcome (for example, increasing speech fluency), you could keep that task analysis for the next client who arrived with the same desired outcome - no more starting from scratch for each time a person arrives with that goal.

A hand was raised. The question was asked. I started to giggle (internally), and answered the question, but the question has remained in the back of my head, rolling around and around.

I do have a book in progress. This book has been in progress for quite a long time, and it never seems to end. I like writing my sing about songs TME collections much better because I do find an end for each one of these. This book idea has never ended because I constantly find new things that "should" be in the book. This topic of goals and objectives could be a part of the book, but probably will not make it. Yet, there is value in what that person asked.

I pride myself in the fact that I think in a certain way. That way appears to be a way that is different from many other people, and it seems to be a good thing...at times. At times, it is a pain in the neck! Since I think differently, I often come up with ideas and methods that don't match the conventional way of doing things, but they work for me, so I don't worry about what others are doing. When I get into the bigger music therapy world, I find that some of my ideas are of interest to other people as well. That always surprises me - that other people find what I do for myself to be engaging.

During the same presentation on Saturday, we touched on some of my other presentation topics. Another participant asked about writing goals for group sessions when you did not know who the attendees were going to be beforehand. Boom! From Many to One - the presentation I gave during the Online Conference for Music Therapy in 2017. Another asked about how I wrote multiple point TMEs to cover data collection. Well...I cover that topic several different ways during intern seminars. I was pleased to know that I really do seem to be able to explain some of these complex topics (at least, for me. They took me FOREVER to figure out for myself) in ways that other people not only understand, but also seem to be able to apply in their own clinical practices.

So, will I ever finish my book? I don't know, but I am going to revisit the manuscript to see what I already have out there, and how I can strengthen the topics - maybe I'll be able to link the book to these presentations that I have already put together - Oooh! Good idea! Links to the presentations within the book - something along the lines of "if you are interested in learning more about group treatment in contrast to individual treatment, click this link..." I could do that!

What do you think would be a good clinical skill to include in my manuscript? What are the clinical things that challenge you? What did you struggle with during your education? What do you struggle with as a professional? What should I write about???

Maybe I will be writing a book.

Hmmm. Happy Monday, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA