Thoughtful Thursday: Looking for Wonder (Not the Book or the Movie)

Most of my thoughts this week have been about the holiday hyperactivity that happens all around me at this time of year. Some of it is self-induced - as a musician, there are performances and programs to lead. Much of the rest of the hype is other-induced - the pressures to have a perfect holiday, the chance to see family and friends, Pinterest (do I need to say more??).

My quotation for the past several weeks has been from E. B. White, writer of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little as well as being the co-editor of The Elements of Style. It sits on my shelf, just behind my right shoulder, and has been sitting there for several weeks now.
Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder. ~ E.B. White
During this holiday season, I am making an effort to find wonder in various places. You know, when I am looking for it, it is amazing how I can find it. When I'm not looking for it, wonder is still happening all around me, but I am often oblivious.

I think of this purposeful watching and noticing as part of mindfulness. I know that there are others who would argue this definition, but I think that becoming more aware of what is happening, especially when looking for the positive, increases my awareness of everything. This makes me acknowledge events, happenings, and situations that I would never have noticed without purposeful attention.

I've had some wonder-full moments this week. 

A student who rarely engages in music therapy initiated a game during scarf and music dancing. 

Another student laughed and laughed when I pretended that covering up with scarves caused invisibility.

I watched the team of social workers, counselors, and school-based therapists put together positivity ornaments during a meeting yesterday. I noticed the cliches that occur in that team. I heard the personalities of team members come out in how they spoke about their personal ornaments. I was able to identify some of the challenges that are present in our team. It was fascinating and wonderful at the same time.

I am going to spend some time today looking for more wonder.

I have plans for this 12 hour workday, but they aren't necessarily wonder-filled. I will look for the enthusiastic singers during the Holiday Sing. I will listen for the singers that don't quite sing the music as written, but who sing for the pure joy of singing. I will also change my music to accommodate their music - one of the most wonderful things that I do as a therapist - adapt so others can engage.

Where is the wonder in your life right now? No matter how much is happening, there is still that wonder all around you. It may be something as simple as a light reflection, but it is there, waiting to be noticed.

Happy Thursday, all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment