Thoughtful Thursday: Shared Sunshine

I reset my quotation box on Monday during my intern webinar. (There are a couple of things wrong with that sentence...more about that later.) Anyway, my current quotation is from J. M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan (if you've never read the book, please do).
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." ~ J. M. Barrie
Yesterday, it was mentioned that I was always happy. The person who mentioned it is never happy and appeared to find my enjoyment of the moment to be disingenuous. There was some discussion about how much I smiled and that I really couldn't be happy. Of course, there was some projection onto my emotional state from this other person, but in the moment itself, I was truly happy.

I am not always happy. That's probably pretty evident from this blog. There are times when things go right and smoothly in my life, and there are times when things don't go as right as I want. That's part of human life, and I've learned to express those emotions as I feel them rather than stuffing them down. In fact, yesterday I became embroiled in a potential human resources situation that really brought my mood down, but during that music therapy session, I did feel truly happy.

One of the things that I've noticed is that I love being in music therapy.

I think that's a good thing after being in the field for almost 25 years. I love being a music therapist, and I love making music with my clients. I am genuinely happy to see them when they arrive. (Whether I am as happy with them when they leave is a completely different story!) I love the moments when a client discovers that they can make music even when they think they cannot. I love when someone bursts into song. I enjoy all the warbling, the strange vocalizations, and the random bits of music that emerge during our sessions.

I remember a time, several years back, when I accepted two interns for the same 7 month period. They were very good interns, so I spent quite a bit of time simply watching them lead music therapy rather than leading it myself. (By the way, I'll NEVER do that again! I missed my role so much that it was difficult to be in the sessions and not take over!) That experience was excruciating! I missed the sunshine that my clients bring into my life through their interaction in music therapy.

I am happy that this profession has offered me more sunshine than clouds.

I am going to head out into my small piece of the music therapy world to spread some sunshine as well as soak up some. Thursdays are a session-full day. I see about 69 students today in group sessions. The groups are very diverse and that offers its own challenge, but that's also part of the joy of music therapy. There is no real way to get bored. We are going to listen to music by Randy Newman, we are going to play rhythm instruments, and we are going to sing. One group is going to sing Pumpkin Carols. (Everyone else will have to wait for that particular experience until next week.)

I may even break out my sunshine songs... 

Happy Thursday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA