Thoughtful Thursday: An Empty Cup

I found a meme yesterday that sums up everything I think about self-care in one image. I do not know who is responsible for the meme, but I got it from the Introverts are Awesome Facebook group.
Some people seem to think that self-care is self-indulgent and selfish, but I think of self-care as essential. I think that is why this particular picture speaks to me.

(I also like analogies, so this has everything in one simple little picture.)

As I am sitting here, I have released my finger from its current confines (got a splint yesterday and have to go back to the Doctor on my day off to confirm that it isn't broken, simply sprained), and my head is pounding. I have two hours before I head to work for a really long day. 

As a result, self-care is something that I am thinking about right now.

An empty cup.

At the moment, my cup has a bunch of holes in it - there are leaks happening everywhere - but I am patching those holes to refill myself.

First step - medication to address the sinus and the headaches.
Second step - food to fill my energy level
Third step - food for thought
Fourth step - rest

Today is a cup sucking day. There will be 12 hours of happy clappy team building activities and family fun nights and having to be very much not me. I will not get home until bedtime, and I will need some time to wind down before being able to sleep. The sinus stuff will not go away on its own, so I'll need to stay on top of the medication in order to help get rid of headaches and sniffy noses. I will also have to smile, and be bubbly, and act like I am enjoying having to be around pumpkins (shudder).

Tomorrow will be a cup filling day. I have to go to the doctor, but that is the only obligation that I have. I will take some time, go to a store that I like, and finish up with lunch at a place that I know from home. Then, I'll come home, watch some new movies, and take the really big medication that will knock me out for 24 hours and then take care of the sinus stuff for good! After that, I'll have yet another day to take care of my self.

sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxz (Cat typing)

I am going to take some time to refill my cup today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA