New Instruments - Time Management and Organization Challenges

This week, we are going to play with our new instruments. Last week, my music therapy department was the recipient of a very generous donation of string instruments. In total, I received 15 new instruments and two new amplifiers. This is the week that I introduce my students to our new instruments.

I am not exactly sure how I am going to do this. There are lots of instruments and not enough time to share them all. I may need to bring out some the first session and others the second session of the week. I need to be able to supervise (closely) the use of the instruments so we can keep them around for a very long time, but I also want my clients to use them. I'm in a bit of a thought loop about this - my thoughts go around and around. Do I bring them all out? Do I focus on just a couple each time? What to do? I think I will stagger the introduction.

These instruments have made things a bit more crowded in my office. I don't have a good place to keep them safe from the folks who have been taking things away from the STARS store right now. I also have a new schedule to memorize as well as lots of things to do as part of my regular job, so I haven't had the time that I need to learn about how to play the violin (it has been a long time).

Tonight, I am going to talk to interns about time management and organization. I am feeling all aspects of this lecture at the moment - I am struggling with both time management and organization right now. Ideally, I would like to have time to practice as well as time to do the other work that has to be done - cleaning the room, setting up therapy sessions, running therapy sessions, doing documentation, trying to organize the storage space so it will work. making picture choice schedules of the new instruments, attending surprise meetings, you name it. It all becomes a bit much when you add something new into the middle of it all.

I need a plan.

I need a "do-it-all" plan; a plan that will allow me to figure out bits and pieces of it all. The first step is to show my students the instruments. That will get them out of my office and into the awareness of my students. The second step is to rearrange things in the storage room. I need to take everything out and then reload the space (keeping in mind that I want interns to use that room as an office eventually). The third step is to figure out how to incorporate these instruments into therapy. Now I just need to find the time to do this. I can start this morning - I did all my notes for Thursday last week. 

It is time to prioritize my tasks while still remembering that I have other things that I have to do. It is time to start the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA