Music Therapy Musings

I'm in a mood to wax rhapsodical. Maybe it's because of the Solstice - I am on the side of the world where there is more sunlight today than darkness. Maybe it's because the cat is wandering around under my feet and meowing lots. I've already followed her into the craft room (which has been recently cleaned enough for me to use my sewing machine and to do several craft projects), but she does not seem to have a purpose. She sat at the sewing machine. Maybe she wants me to sew something (but that ain't happening on an early Wednesday morning!). She just wants more attention than I will devote to her at the moment. Maybe it's because it's Wednesday, I don't know, but the mood persists.

I will try my best to relate this to music therapy, but this may be one of those posts where I just spin off into a rant. If so, I will apologize in advance.

I have already written this post several times, and then deleted everything that I've written. What is coming out the tips of my fingers is not something for this blog. It's better to process those types of thoughts in my written journals - I know what I am doing during hallway duty this morning - and I will do so there. In the meantime, what will I write about?

How about yesterday's sessions?

We are talking about the Carnival of the Animals this summer session. I chose this because I want to get my students (and my support staff) used to the idea of centers in the music therapy session. It's an idea that I've been trying for years, and it really hasn't happened yet. In the past, I haven't really had the space to implement all the centers. When I've had the space, I haven't had the time to introduce the concept in a way that my support staff could understand. It is my goal to get the idea established and then in full implementation for the school year. So, I am taking this summer to get the idea into our heads. I am also using the Carnival of the Animals because it gives me a framework - a way to structure my thinking during planning times.

We are listening to the Elephant and Kangaroo movements this week.

We are also using pantyhose legs, splash balls, blocks, bass drums, and a kangaroo tail that I sewed this weekend to illustrate these movements. The kangaroo tail is something that we tie to the back of a client. I then encourage the client to jump, hop, sit, and work with the addition of the tail to their body. My next step is to make another one that has more weight to it. The pantyhose legs and splash balls get put together and become elephant trunks. We then whip our heads around to knock over block towers built on the bass drums. Our other center this week is coloring pages.

I am loving the opportunity to watch my clients (8 out of the 12 classes) try these things out. Some clients seem to love the chance to use the "trunks," others do not. Some of the staff members are enjoying the stunt work as well.

This is part of a larger plan for a transformation of music therapy at my facility (and for the music therapist as well). This summer's theme is a way for me to work within a structure and start to change things slowly. By the time I've figured all this out, I should be ready to put my plan into place. In the meantime, I am enjoying the challenge of enfolding my music therapy goals into a set format and the lesson plans of others.

I am going to get ready to do another day of elephant trunks and kangaroo tails. While I am implementing these movements, I am working on the next several weeks of strategy plans. Next week is the Aquarium and Animals with Long Ears. We are going to use the ocean drums and sing some fish songs. I have to finish a file folder for another song we are going to sing next week. The pattern is finished, I just have to make the idea a reality.

By the way, did you know that kangaroos are like camels in that they don't need water often?

One of the fun facts that I am learning this summer.

Whew. No rant this time around.

Happy Solstice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA