I'm Singing

This may be a strangely titled post, but it's true. I've been doing lots of extemporaneous singing in sessions lately. There has been improvisation all over the place, and I can feel my songwriting process starting up slowly...very slowly, but it is starting.

It's been some time since I've managed to write a new piece for therapy. I don't often stress about my creative blocks, but this one has been extended - not usual - and I've been a bit stumped about how to get out of the slump. So, I've just maintained my skills and focused on improvisation rather than on publishing songs.

I now feel the spark of composition starting to kindle new ideas in the back of my head. It's time to start recording my improvisations and then transcribing them (thank goodness for dictation classes!) and writing out their full therapeutic purpose into my therapeutic music experience plan. It simply takes time (which I don't have much of these days) to do the process and to jump-start that form of creativity in my life.

In the meantime, I'm singing.

I'm singing to the cat in the morning (when she will listen). I sing in between sessions as I am waiting for the next group to arrive. I sing to my clients. I sing with my clients. I sing with my church choir. I am trying to get myself back into a pattern of singing.

I am going to drag my exhausted self to work today, trying to keep my interests in the waning school year for another week. I have three more graduation song rehearsals before graduation. I have 10 more sessions before the end of the school year. That number will be down to 6 by the end of the day. (It would usually be 15, but I have driver's training on Thursday, so I don't have sessions that day, just sub plans to arrange.) The day ends with a summer school training (SOOO MUCH FUN!) where we will talk about something probably pretty irrelevant to my function at the facility (last week's training was useless to me), and then I have nothing to do this evening but plan a worship service for tomorrow evening.

In all of that, I'll be singing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA