Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's Off to Work I Go!

Today is Friday. 

Is anyone else breathing a sigh of relief over this fact? I know I am. It has been a long, strange week, and I am very glad that it is coming to an end. It started with a headbutt and is ending with a series of sinus headaches and worship services, so it's been an up and down kind of week.

I am close to completing one of my financial goals - that of a good cushion just in case. Today is payday, and I was able to put actual surplus money into my savings - I consider everything that is left over after a month's bills to be surplus money. I have been able to put something away every month for the past several months, but this was the most yet. Once that cushion is firm, I will spend the next bit on a brand new mattress.

Today is going to be a work day. I only have one push-in session on Fridays, and the rest of my time is spent in planning and cleaning. I have an instrument hospital full of things to be sanitized and returned to the general instrument population. I have several shelves to be filled. I have things to laminate and things to velcro. I need to wet-swiffer my office floor and rearrange the storage closet where the drum sets are currently stored. I also have five group sessions to document before anything else can happen.

I was thinking about work lately. I have five jobs. Four of them happen throughout the year. One of them is a bit off and on, but is still an important project for me. Each of my jobs is something that offers me challenge, but they all challenge me in different ways. My full-time job is where I can do lots of music therapy implementation. My church job is where I can make music for a different purpose. My website is my creative outlet. My other website is a partnership and offers a different way of thinking about music. The last job that I have is as treasurer for a small non-profit business for music therapy education (the Online Conference for Music Therapy). That job is immersing me in things like accountants and taxes and budget projections and international wage requirements.

I am trying to generalize what I learn in one place to the other jobs. Sometimes it is easy to generalize that information - the treasurer job is teaching me so much about small business finances. Sometimes it is more difficult.

I enjoy working. I like having something to do that fills up my time and gives me a chance to be around other people. I also like being able to go home after my day and leave work issues at work. I have always believed that work is too important to be a source of stress - if you are unhappy in your work, it is time to find something new. Work has to be something that you enjoy.

There are elements of all of my jobs that I would change. There have been elements of every job that I have ever had in my life that I would have changed if I could. I think that's the nature of work. For me, the benefits and joys of the work have to outweigh the elements I want to change in order for me to stay.

On this Friday, I am going to go to work at my full-time job. I am going to do the chores that I have on my list, and then I am going to go to my church job for worship. After that, tomorrow morning includes taxes for my treasurer job and then there is nothing that I have to do until early on Sunday morning when it is time for worship again. I may get some course content generated and ready to go for my website. I may not.

Happy Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA