What Do I Believe? Philosophical Musings

I am getting ready to lead a webinar about writing a philosophy of music therapy statement. It is something that I have done for many years - writing, reading, and evaluating such statements - so I have lots of experience in interpreting the ideas of others, but this is the first time I'm going to talk about my process to others.

I've taken courses on philosophy. I've read some of the greats. I've thought about my own philosophy of music therapy ad nauseum, but I've never really taught a bunch of people how to write something so personal before. 

I am going to spend time today putting together my thoughts, experiences, and powerpoint presentation. I'll talk to all those that arrive this evening, and we'll see if we can start to formulate these personal statements about music therapy.

The one nice thing about philosophy is that it never ends.

My own philosophy has changed over my years as a music therapy student, professional, and mentor. I don't believe exactly the same thing that I believed about this profession years ago. My ideas have matured. My ability to talk about music therapy has deepened. My experience now informs my philosophy more strongly than it did when I was a young therapist. 

I figure, if I ever reach a point where my philosophy stops evolving, I will need to leave the profession. I'm glad that I continue to grow.

Feel free to join us tonight for the webinar - it's free to watch live. Watching the recording will include a $10(USD) fee. Register here: http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=EC58D880814839

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA