Thoughtful Thursday: Peace Be With You

It's no secret that part of my work life is that of church musician and Director of Music. I work for a small, rural, Methodist church in between two major cities in my state, and I have been there for many years. It is a break from music therapy but is still music-related and offers a place for performance as well as spiritual replenishment for me and others.

One of the traditions that I love comes in several of our rituals that happen during worship.

The pastor greets us with the phrase, "Peace be with you." We respond with, "And also with you."

I love that greeting and find that it has so many different applications, especially outside the walls of the church.

Today, I want to offer that phrase to all of you. Peace be with you.

I've been surrounded by conflict and negativity lately. It's happening on the radio, in social media, in my own brain as things are rapidly changing. People that I know pretty well seem to be wrapped up in continuing the conflict - some are gloating, others are in despair. I cannot escape the pull of both worlds, and it is starting to wear on me.

As a result, I am looking for peace. This is the season that school employees dread - the hype before the holidays. My clients are not excluded from the anticipation, excitement, and dread that can occur during this holiday - and more of my clients experience this season with dread. They haven't always had stable situations in their lives and this holiday season is not always full of joyful memories or hopes for the future. Their responses to things are not always what you expect, and peace is hard to come by these days in the halls of my facility.

Yesterday, I was running a session with my youngest clients. We were listening to jazz music selections and playing games with beanbag frogs (it all worked together, really). One of the selections was a song entitled Common Threads by Bobby McFerrin. (Note, this is just the audio link.) I love this lullaby and thought it was a good example for my jazz listening theme for the week. One of the most active little ones immediately looked at me and said, "I think this is a good song for meditation," and started to engage in meditative practices. The staff members present couldn't believe that this one was able to sit still, breathe deeply, and assume a demeanor of calm for the entire song. This client's ability to find peace in the middle of a group of 13 busy people reminded me of the individual responsibility we all have to ourselves and to others in this world.

I will strive to find my peace. I will strive to help others find some peace with their situations. I will try to navigate the season remembering that peace is something that can be shared just as easily as annoyance or irritation. I will engage in smiling rather than grumbling and will remember that what I say and do can and does have an effect on others. I will strive to be a moment of peace for myself and for those around me.

Peace be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment