Taking Some Time for Self-Care

It's self-care time again. Time to focus on something for me rather than something for others. I am part of a group on Facebook that is run by a person that I used to babysit (age check) way back when, and she recently asked if self-care was selfish. I don't think of it as selfish but as necessary. I think if feelings of self-care take precedence over any and all client interaction, then it is a selfish endeavor (and indicative of something other than a need for self-care), but most of the time, self-care has a place in the life of any helping professional. 

This month, I am going to spend some time on proactive self-care rather and reactive self-care. What does this mean? It means that I am not really feeling like I MUST engage in something for me, but that I GET to engage in something that cares for me.

I am going to spend 30 minutes of every hour making something - food, visual aids, gifts for family members, etc - and the other 30 minutes of every hour sorting through and either trashing or making donation piles of the stuff that has accumulated since I had to downsize at work. (Much of the stuff will have new places in the new room - still waiting on a timeline, but I am assured that it WILL happen before the new year.) 

This 30 on 30 off routine is the most effective for me when I need to do work. It offers a change in focus when I need it and keeps me going. I am going to vacuum every so often, shred things, and work until I can work no more.

Sometimes the promise of self-care is just as refreshing as the actual caring for self.

Thirty minutes starting now...

Comments

  1. You have a very nice blog with a lot of helpful information. Thank you so much for sharing, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and thanks for reading. Enjoy Montreal!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA