Some Light Reading

I do hallway duty at my school. I sit in a window, on a cushy window seat, and I watch kids walk to their classes. It's kinda a subterfuge because kids are allowed to walk to their classes without staff members, but there I am, day after day, watching them get to their destinations in an appropriate manner. Because of the subterfuge (which only one student has figured out by the way), I always take things to do when I go to sit in the hallway. Lately, I've been alternating between my bullet journal, my regular journal, and my new copy of Barbara Wheeler's Music Therapy Handbook.

I bought myself a copy of this newly released book when I was at conference in Ohio, and I've been reading it piecemeal since. I usually sit down, open up to a random page and then go to the beginning of the chapter and hunker down to read. I'm using much of the same techniques with this reading that I've developed for my article reading (see anything about being research-informed on this blog for more information how I read articles) - post-it notes and trying to find links to my own music therapy practice - and am finding that I already know many of the things that are mentioned (as it should be!!). There are also other perspectives and theoretical outlooks that challenge my own ideas of what music therapy is and can do with clients.

I have not read the entire book yet, and I doubt that I will in the near future, but I am using it to increase my awareness of music therapy in this country. It interests me that there are so many different ways of being a music therapist, but the thing that unites us is an interest in the effect of music on human beings.

If you are looking for a music therapy book that gives an overview of music therapy in several different worlds, I recommend Barbara's book. Read it. Agree with it. Disagree with it. Use the words of others to strengthen your own advocacy position within your music therapy world.

Enjoy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA