Ethics...Hmm.

Yesterday, I finished my day with a discussion about ethics, music therapy, and spirituality. It was the second continuing music therapy education course (CMTE) I attended yesterday, and, as all ethics conversations tend to do, it raised more questions than solutions.

I actually enjoy these types of conversations, but I can never see only one path. I consider myself an ethical therapist as well as a spiritual person. I think I've done a pretty good job of navigating my role as a therapist over the years, but I know that ethics is in the eye of the beholder.

The thing I appreciated the most was the reminder that most ethical decisions have to be taken within the context of the situation. Something that is ethical in one setting may be completely unethical if one small element changes. These things are rarely black and white - they are always found in shades of gray.

I am glad that I was able to attend the two CMTEs that I chose this year. (The fact that they were both free was an added bonus!!) I didn't really learn anything new (which I am glad about), but I did get some reminders of things that I had forgotten. I will take back some attitudes that I had left behind me.

The conference officially starts tonight, and I have to do some things that I don't want to do. I have to sit up front for the opening (NOT my place of comfort AT ALL!), and I will probably be hugged by people I don't know that well but who insist on hugging. After that meeting, I'll go spend some time in the Exhibit Hall and leave my tickets in the Take-A-Chance Drawing. I have space to take some stuff home in the car, so the sky's the limit when it comes to bidding! The last time I had space in the car, I won a huge basket full of paints! I wonder what there will be tonight. I always put one ticket into the iPad drawing (but NEVER win that). I tend to win things when I go purely on impulse - and I've won two different things over the years. Maybe this will be another year for winning. Maybe not.

The rest of the week will be spent out of meetings and in concurrent sessions. I am going to go by impulse, looking for things that interest me in the moment. We'll see what I actually attend. I'm not sure that I will find much that will actually relate to my life as a music therapist, but I am good at finding connections.

I am going to learn something this week, by hook or by crook! Happy (what day is it? Thursday??) whatever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA