Someone Just Asked...

Over on social media, someone just asked about whether there were other music therapists who just didn't use music for their own relaxation/self-care routines. I admit that I am one of those music therapists.

After making music, putting myself into the music all day long, I can't seem to use it for relaxation outside of the job, and I realize that IT'S OKAY! 

I used to feel guilty that my relationship with music had changed. No more. Now I realize that my relationship with music is what it is and does not have any inherent value. It just is.

What do I do to relax? I draw. I craft. I write. I read anything and everything. I occasionally pick up my ukulele or my keyboard to compose something for work. I watch copious amounts of television - mainly mysteries or conspiracy shows. I cook a bit. I spend time online, looking at all types of websites for all types of purposes. In addition, I spend lots of time thinking about music therapy as a treatment modality for others.

Today is a day off. Everyone else is going to an all-day inservice on Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). The topic is relevant to many of our clients (I believe), but the person in charge is just too arrogant for me to be around all day, so I found a way out. I have a doctor's appointment at 10:15 and rationalized that it would be very difficult to drive 45 minutes to work, leave, drive 45 minutes to the doctor, go back, and try to figure out what I've missed. I know quite a bit about SPD already, and don't need the CMTEs, so I decided to have a true day off.

I have some plans.

I have to take a shower to get ready for the knee check. I am going to the doctor, and I think I'll go see Masterminds early this afternoon. After that, some shopping for various sundries, and then back home. It will be a good day. (And, did you notice? No music making in it at all! And that's okay!!)

Happy Monday.

Comments

  1. I saw that post, actually, and I was thinking about it and trying to reconcile my love for music with that. Some of my MUTY friends and I were discussing it yesterday, but we weren't sure if it was a negative thing or not - thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - it is really interesting how some of us move deeper into music for our own self-care and others of us (me included) move away from music for our daily self-care routines. For me, the answer is always based on the question of "what does my self need right now?" If the answer is listening to music, then I do it. If the answer is drawing a picture, then I do that. By being self-aware, I am able to find what I need. Keep talking with others about this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA