Reminder...

www.musictherapyworks.com

At the beginning of this month, I was driving home and happened to look up to see a gorgeous rainbow in the sky. It was a full rainbow, stretching from one side of the horizon to the other. The colors on the right side were the most vibrant colors I have ever seen. I had to stop by the side of the road to take pictures and keep this rainbow in my mind through the visual reminders.

There are some who say that taking pictures keeps us from actually engaging in the moments going on around us, but that's not how I experience the world. I take pictures so I can capture a memory.

Now, I didn't just take pictures, I also just sat and stared at the beauty that was before me. I spent some of my time (which is something I don't do easily - spending extra time doing something mindful) just observing the rainbow and thinking about all of the people who were driving around me who may not have seen the bow in front of them. I took my time, reveled in the sight in front of me, and then started my drive again. I kept seeking glimpses of the rainbow in the side windows until it faded from view.

(Now's the time when I try to get all philosophical-like and make this experience something that directly relates to music therapy...)

For me, the biggest thing that stuck with me is the thought of the people who weren't noticing what was happening in the sky in front of them. This is what I think happens when many people look at a music therapy session. They cannot notice what happens in front of them.

One of the statements that sticks in my craw is "happy children making happy sounds." My administrators make comments like that all the time when describing what I do to other people. It takes every fiber in my being not to scream, "YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I DO!" There is so much more happening during a music therapy session that is apparently not visible to the untrained eye.

There are times when I don't notice these things either, so I guess I should be a bit more patient with the others. I know that there are times when I don't notice the responses of clients to the music. I know that there are times when I go right past something important and beautiful - just like those folks who drove past the rainbow.

When I start to feel disconnected from what is happening with music, I simplify my treatment. I had planned a complex Halloween story with my groups this week. It became pretty evident pretty quickly that my clients were not able to concentrate on what I had planned. As a result, I changed my plan to playing the novel instruments that I was going to use for the story. 

We simply made music with the instruments. 

I didn't stress (much) about finishing the goal of symbol to sound correlation. I didn't focus on trying to celebrate a holiday that already takes up too much time (in my opinion). I just realized that my desire for my clients to make up a Halloween story was just that - MY desire - not what my clients wanted to do. So, I changed my mind.

When a group of diverse clients start to make music together in a way that exemplifies some of Sears' initial ideas about the strength of music making in a social setting, it is magic.

Sometimes that magic is fleeting, but those perfect music therapy moments do occur, and they are wonderful. 

Take time to notice the small things around you. You never know when you will find a perfect music therapy moment, or a new idea, or a rainbow stretching across the sky.

Happy Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA