Just A Song Sunday: Shaping the Music to the Client

If you've read some of the posts in this series, you know how I feel about requests for things like "rap songs for my client." (If I start to explain, this will devolve into a rant, so I'm not going to do that right now.) Instead of ranting, I am going to speak about something else - shaping music to fit the client.

Yes, I do use songs in my music therapy sessions. I am not someone who only improvises music. I use recordings, I use the songs of others, and I do improvise. I try to make the music presented fit the needs of the clients sitting in front of me. 

I do not believe that there is any one song that will fix or elicit specific responses from every client. But, I do believe that music can elicit specific responses from every client when that music is shaped around the client, preferences, goals, and situations.

I am still trying to figure out how to explain this concept to others. I think I can get there eventually, but it's not quite concise in my mind yet. Right now, I think my idea is centered around the concept that any song can be shaped to address any client need or goal. I think that I can take any song and make it into something that my client will engage in simply by changing musical elements to those that I know will affect my client's responses to the music.

It is time to get out my graphic organizing software and diagram my ideas about this topic. I'll post more about this later. I'm going to my Inspiration program right now and start to figure out what I mean.

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA