Happy Saturday! It's a New Month AND a New Bullet Journal!

www.musictherapyworks.com
My new Bullet Journal - Courtesy of Music Therapy Mailings!
It is a new month. October is here and I am ready for it!!

I've been doing a bit of experimentation with organization lately, using a very simple bullet journal to keep track of things that I need to do. To start with, I used a small book that my mom or sister gave to me that I used for therapeutic music experience ideas at the beginning, but that was the perfect size for me to use to get started. That book is almost full, and I was in a bit of a dilemma about what format to use next when this small journal arrived as part of my mailing from Music Therapy Mailings. I love getting my envelope every month - which reminds me, I need to up my subscription. I missed a mailing this month...

This small book arrived just about the time I was starting to look around for something to use as my next bullet journal. I think Tracy reads my mind sometimes - it's spooky!

When I started to use this format for organizing my time and events, I made the fatal error of looking for information on Pinterest. This was a bad thing for me to do because it showed me lots of wonderful drawings, formats, fancy things that are not really part of my repertoire yet (or may never be). There are so many different things that people use their journals for that are just not all that practical for me.

So, I am finding my own way.

What is happening right now is that my bullet journal (or bujo if you're part of the creative crew) is a glorified to-do list. I have started from both the front and the back of the book, and I am trying to organize what I need to do, what I actually did, and ideas that I want to work on into the pages. My calendar is at the front of the book and the idea pages are in the back of the book. I did some blog rejuvenation creativity work earlier this week - the journal gave me a place to work on my mind map and keep it with everything else.

This format is starting to work for me, and I'm going to keep it up.

One of the topics that I talk to music therapy interns about is Time Management. During our discussions, I stress that one size does NOT fit all when it comes to finding a management strategy. What works for me may not work for you - and THAT'S FINE! 

For me, this is working. I don't always put things on my list, but when I do, I pay attention. Today's list? Blogging (check), blogging on a new website (not done yet), OCMT Board of Directors meeting (in about an hour), cleaning something here at home (TBD, but I'm thinking the living room needs some desperate attention!). That's it.

Folks who are hard core bullet journalers use theirs as journal and mindfulness tool as well as a task manager. I haven't started those things yet, but I think I will try it for this new month. I'll spend some time every day thinking about what has gone well and what needs some attention in my life. I also think I'll write something about each day - a way to keep track of me and my moods during this new month. 

I'm also on the lookout for another journal to start in about four months or so - depends on how fast I can fill this book!

Off to start my tasks and to get ready for the week. Happy music therapy-ing, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA