The Beautiful Side of Boredom

My mother has a phrase that she would pop out any time one of us would utter the statement, "I'm bored." After hearing the phrase once or twice, we learned quickly not to make that type of statement within her hearing because she would respond, "I can find you something to do."

SHUDDER!

What Mom found for us to do was usually something like mopping the kitchen or weeding the garden. It wasn't usually all that fun and did not necessarily combat the boredom issue, but it was something to do.

I believe in boredom.

I believe that out of boredom comes creativity. Mom taught me that. When bored, I can find a path out of that boredom because Mom encouraged me to do so!

I heard "I'm bored" from clients all week this week. Many of them made these statements when they entered into the session room before I was even able to do anything with them. I am wondering what is happening. Once my clients get used to the fact that they had to walk 25 feet down the hallway to get to the music therapy room, they tend to enjoy what is happening (at least, they seem to be enjoying what is happening), but the initial response is ennui.

Now, I'm not saying that it should be the goal of therapists to bore themselves or their clients. Definitely not! Even so, there is beauty in being bored with what is going on around you. 

Boredom allows us to think of possibilities. When my clients walk into the session and aver, "I'm bored," I see it as an opportunity for them to explore and figure out what will make them interested in something. It's amazing what someone can find to do when motivated to entertain themselves.

When I'm bored with my same old songs, I write new ones. When I'm bored with the same old session format, I try a new format. When I'm bored with my hairstyle, I get a haircut. Out of boredom comes something new.

I've been improvising songs all week - just as a way to shake myself out of patterns. Every group of clients had a new opening - most of them seemed to enjoy the novelty, but some of them wanted the routine of the familiar. It took some time to convince them that the music therapy had actually started, but they eventually realized that I hadn't completely flipped my lid and was still the same MJ from the week before...

It's time to shake things up at my facility. Clients are getting into uncomfortable patterns, so it's time to change things. We will see if changing how music therapy is offered will change the attitudes or patterns of clients. If it doesn't, then it will be time to try something else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA