Music Therapy Heroes

I woke up this morning with a couple of people on my mind. This happens to me pretty much every day, but today's people were music therapists, so I naturally went into "I should use this as my blog topic for this morning" thought mode. Here goes.

Who are your music therapy heroes? Why do you look up to them? What do they do that makes them heroic to you?

My heroes have changed many times over the years. When I was a high school student, my first music therapy heroes were Carol Merle-Fishman and Shelly Katsh. They wrote a book entitled The Music Within You, and it was the only thing that I had (other than a mimeographed brochure from the National Association for Music Therapy) that had anything to do with music therapy. For two years before I finished high school, the book was the only thing I could find that was related to what I thought I wanted to do with my life. I devoured that book, over and over again, in an effort to understand what I was called to do with my life. It inspired me to do my AP Bio project on music and recall. It kept me going during a time when music therapy was not well-known in my circle of family and friends.

My professors and practicum supervisors were my heroes in my undergraduate education. They were the keepers of the music therapy entry gate. They had all the knowledge that I wanted, and they were my heroes.

music therapy; www.musictherapyworks.com; heroes
My current heroes!
My internship supervisors and director took over the heroic role about 30 seconds after I started my internship. (I tend to admire those who have knowledge that I lack - there are many people who fit that bill!) They helped me filter my education into practical application, and many of the lessons that I learned all those years ago are still the foundation of how I practice music therapy today.

As I've been a therapist over the past 23+ years, I've had many heroes. For me, the criteria for making it onto my "Hero List" has changed many times. Sometimes you made the list if I thought you had answers to my questions. Other times, you were on if I felt that you could teach me something. Sometimes, my heroes were those who were able to do something that I didn't feel confident doing myself.

Right now, my heroes encapsulate all of the past criteria. I find that I admire these people for many different reasons, but they all inspire me to bigger and better things for myself as well as for the profession of music therapy. You may notice the last entry on the picture - music therapy clients. This entry was saved for last purposefully. Without our clients, we wouldn't be able to do any of the things we do - they are the reason why and are the most consistent entry on my list of heroes.

Who are your heroes? Who do you admire in the world of music therapy? Why do you admire those therapists? How do they make you view the world differently?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA