The Meaning of Memorial Day

It is Memorial Day here in the States and is the day that we've dedicated to remembering those who have died in service to their country in the armed forces.

There is a difference between Armed Forces Day (the day we recognize all those currently serving), Memorial Day (see above), and Veteran's Day (the day we recognize all those who have served in the past). I think many of us do not really understand the function of these days in our country's history and tradition. I have to admit that I am one of those people.

My grandfather on my Mom's side was a veteran. He was in the Army during World War II. He didn't much talk about his experiences; at least, not with me. The other person that I know who has served our country in the Armed Forces was my cousin who was in the Navy for a time. Since they are veterans, the meaning of the other two days has been pretty much lost to me until this year.

Now I know the meanings of these days, so I can appreciate them a bit more.

Remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country. It is their day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA