Eras are Ending

It's true.

With the death of Prince yesterday, it is becoming evident that youth and adolescence is over. While I can't say I was ever a real big fan of Prince's, his music was prevalent and somewhat controversial when I was growing up. 

I think most of the controversy came from his persona rather than his music, but he was one of those artists who combined the persona with his music. As complaints about who he was happened, more and more of my friends found him to be a role model. I think that may have been more a response to what their parents were saying than anything else, but the music was sound and demanding listening to, strengthening that bond and recognition.

My parents were not really all that hip to music trends when I was growing up. Dad likes classical music and classic rock that reminds him of his nostalgia days. Mom likes Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, and the Kingston Trio and never really listens to music. She prefers singing herself to listening to something that just randomly pops up on a radio. Neither of them really objected to anything that I listened to when I was growing up. (Mom would object if she could hear the music when she was standing in the hallway - she was convinced that I would be deaf because I wanted to hear my music loud enough to be able to hear it from 3 feet away from the tiny transistor radio that my dad gave to me. You should have heard the rant when I got my first Walkman!!)

I never really had to choose a favorite performer. I had permission to love any and all music that came my way, and I did, and I still do. That ability to love music without linking it to an adolescent rebellion may have made it so I didn't identify strongly with one performer over another. Sure, I loved Prince's music, but I never really felt that I needed to dress like him or become identified with one person over any other.

I wonder if I missed out. I had friends who would go through periods of time where they would dress and act like their favorite performers. I would be their friend regardless of the Madonna look or the Prince ruffles (I did have to draw the line at a sparkly Michael Jackson glove for everyday wear, though). I never had the money or ability to dress in any type of trend. I could, however, listen to the music (through my little bitty transistor radio set to 2 on the volume dial). While my outward appearance didn't change to reflect who I would listen to, my inner experience was enriched beyond belief!

Today, as I head off to work, I will be listening for and singing snippets from the music of my adolescence. When Doves Cry seems pretty appropriate for today.

It may be the end of an era, but the music will always live on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Dear AMTA

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment