Wednesday Woes

Do you ever hear a phrase and think, "that would be a good band name?" No? Okay, moving on...

I am woeful today because my body hurts. This is a physical therapist-induced type of hurt, and I know it is good for me, but it really stinks to be in the middle of it all. I am using my balm and my hot/cold patches, but it still hurts. I have to take this hurting body into music therapy sessions and still manage to be therapeutic for the clients who are waiting. This is where self-care becomes oh so important for the well-being of the clients we serve.

I cannot take time away from my job. It is not possible at this time to indulge my selfish whims for a long hot soak in the tub followed by heat and ice packs all through the day. So, I am going to figure out another way to care for myself at the same time I am doing my job. 

Step One: a hearty breakfast of potato, bacon, and cheese chowder! (Have I ever mentioned that I do NOT like eating breakfast food for breakfast? Never have, never will!) 

Step Two: taking pain medications when they are needed today. Extra-strength Tylenol to the rescue! 

Step Three: keep moving. I've got to keep the muscles going so they don't relax into a solid mass of stiffness. 

Step Four: focus on the client. Things fade away when you are outwardly focused rather than inwardly focused.

Step Five: make music. This has been a week of good improvisations that are gone into the ether. I will be making music today. It will be a good day.

The woes I am bringing into this Wednesday are lightening already. Thinking about self-care can bring self-care into focus and actuality. I have a plan!!

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA